_

_

Thursday, September 30, 2010

From My Kitchen: Baked Apple Doughnuts


I had a fridge full of apples from Saturday and a craving for doughnuts. When I found this recipe (which I modified a little bit from the original), I knew I had to make it because it seemed yummy, but was SO easy and did not require frying.

Here it is -
1 c milk
3 TB Canola oil
1 large egg
3 TB brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3 3/4 c flour
1 TB fast rising yeast
2 medium apples, chopped finely
melted butter
cinnamon sugar, for dipping

Combine all ingredients except apples, cinnamon sugar, and melted butter in bread machine. Run dough cycle. Add chopped apples at the beep. When cycle is finished, punch down dough. On floured surface, roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut into 16-20 doughnuts. Place on baking sheets and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes until browned and done. Remove from oven and immediately brush doughnuts with butter and dip in cinnamon sugar. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Those look good but I've always wondered about baked doughnuts...do they really taste in any way like doughnuts?! It seems like frying makes a doughnut what it is, for better or worse.