_

_

Friday, October 8, 2010

Teaching Time

Okay, I'm finally continuing my reasons I don't/do home school. Here's the original post if you missed it.

I DON'T home school because...

4)...I think home schooling is the right form of education for every child and every family. Obviously I don't think that since I have taught many children at various schools over the years. We are tentatively planning to put Caleb in my school for one day a week next year, and I envision that eventually all our children will be in school and I will go back to teaching.

5)...I love teaching every subject matter. History and English are my favorites with math coming in close behind. I am going to have to step out of my comfort zone to make sure my children are well educated in science, art, and music. I figure that's what a good curriculum is for, filling in the gaps in my knowledge and experience.

I DO home school because...

3)...I can teach at the pace best for each child. Caleb will soon be starting first grade math. But, his handwriting skills are lagging, so we often do work book pages orally or on the white board. I love being able to personalize his instruction.

4)...I love the time that it affords my children to spend together. Caleb is not away at school for 7 hours a day; he is home interacting with his sisters. They are the best of friends. While I know that may not always be the case, I hope that the time spent together home schooling deepens their friendships with one another. I teach several sets of siblings at my school (which is for home schooled students; hi guys, if you are reading my blog), and I love seeing that they are friends not just siblings. I am sure that the time they have spent together over the years has helped. I hope my kids will always be close.

Here they are playing drive through or something like that together yesterday while I made lunch.

No comments: