_

_

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Poor Boy

Caleb woke up Sunday morning with the beginnings of a rash on his face (which for the record was the 3rd Sunday in a row that one of our kids had some sort of mystery disease). Sunday night, a pediatrician friend at church confirmed that it was probably poison ivy or something of the sort. So, Monday morning, I dragged everyone to Publix to get some cortizone and calamine, which I proceeded to doctor him with on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday night, I noticed a bit of swelling, and by Wednesday morning, it looked like this. What you can't really tell in these pictures is that the whole side of his face is swollen.

I called Dr. Grammy, and she confirmed that a trip to the pediatrician was probably in order. Of course Wednesday is the day that I babysit an extra child, so I took all 4 kids to the doctor with me. They were great, though, and the doctor said he thought it was poison sumac (which is a vine) by the way the rash was snaking up his torso (which I didn't even know until he pulled up his shirt at the doctor). And it was infected. So we left with prescriptions for an antibiotic, oral steroids, and steroid cream. So then, I took 4 kids to Publix to get his prescriptions filled. They ate cookies, looked at the toys on the Christmas display, and played with my Ipod while we waited for his prescriptions to be filled, which fortunately were at no cost to us. His face looks A LOT better today, so I'm glad I took him in. Poor guy!

No comments: