_

_

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday: Teaching Home Schooled Students

I love to teach. More specifically I love to teach 5th grade or thereabouts. Even more specifically I love to teach English and history. I taught full time for a year after Caleb was born and then decided that I needed to look for a part time position. Traditional schools often offer part time positions, but they usually require coming in for a portion of each day. I was really hoping to teach only a few days a week, but I was not sure if this was possible. I can't really remember now how I stumbled upon the idea of teaching home schooled students, but it is a great idea for me. I love being home with my children, and yet I love to teach. I also love getting a paycheck that helps us make ends meet. The first time I taught home schooled students, I taught 2 days a week from 9:00-2:30. In the morning, I taught 2 sections of 5th grade English, and in the afternoon, I taught two sections of 5th grade history. I took last school year off after Alexa was born. This year, I am only teaching one day a week from 9:00-2:00. I have 4 5th and 6th grade students, and I am again teaching English and History. Teaching home schooled students helps me pursue my love of teaching while still spending most days home with my children, and that works for me.

1 comment:

Memarie Lane said...

It's great you were able to work that out. In my city we have a huge homeschool community, and we actually have a full-time band director just for all the homeschoolers! As homeschooling becomes more prevalent I think there will be a lot of opportunities like this for teachers.