_

_

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Resolution

So I made a goal this year, a resolution of sorts, to pay closer attention to how much I am SPENDING at the grocery store. I love to see how much I am saving, but how much I am spending is really the bottom line. I gave myself a pretty ambitious goal of $250 per month. I've tried setting weekly goals before, but I thought that perhaps monthly would work better. As you can see from my posted menu plans, I try to plan a variety of reasonably healthy meals for dinner each week. I'm including in this $250 anything that I purchase at the grocery store (mainly Kroger and Publix) except for alcohol that I occasionally purchase for Dave and Sunday newspapers. Therefore paper products, diapers, Cokes, etc. will be included. Any money not used will carry over to the next month. Anyway, I finished my shopping for January (I go to the store on Mondays and Thursdays, and Monday is February 1), so I thought I would share my totals. I have my totals set up in an Excel spreadsheet (with a little, okay a lot, of help from Dave), which does all the calculations for me.

January grocery spending - $245.01
January grocery savings - $421.30
January savings percent - 66%

I also made another goal for the year, which I'll share sometime next week.

2 comments:

Laura Fine said...

I am always so envious of your mad budget skills! I think I am going to have to try to start using coupons. I am so intimidated but you have inspired me!

Oma and Opa said...

As the advertising saying goes...
the more you buy, the more you save....Duh...how much "more" stuff does one need?