_

_

Saturday, May 1, 2010

April Update

I'm combining my grocery budget update and books read for April in one post.

First up, groceries.

I spent $356 and saved $505, which is 56% savings. For May, I'm shooting for closer to $320, but we shall see.

I did A LOT more reading this month than in previous months. Here's what I read -

1) Once a Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg - This was interesting to read, but I don't think I will ever actually cook that way, especially with their recipes.

2) Rainwater
by Sandra Brown - This was a good story that according to the back of the book is not like her other novels. It's not entirely clean, though, so reader beware.

3) The Everything Homeschooling Book
by Sherri Lisenbach - This was a good basic introduction to homeschooling.

4) Robinson Crusoe
by Daniel Defoe - I read this for my middle school English class. LOVE the reformed theology in it.

5) Real-Life Homeschooling
by Rhonda Barfield - I really enjoyed this book. It showed over 20 different families and how they homeschool, and it was neat to see all the variations.

6) Midwives
by Chris Bohjalian - Molly let me borrow this book to read, and it was really good. Once again, in the interest of full disclosure, it was not entirely clean.

7) The Joyful Home Schooler
by Mary Hood - She had some good points, but her theology was suspect, and she randomly takes scriptures out of context.

8) 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum
by Cathy Duffy - This was a very helpful booked that systematically reviewed all sorts of homeschool curriculum for all subjects.

9) Eat Healthy for $50 a Week
by Rhonda Barfield - I'd love to read her new book, Feed Your Family for $12 a Day, but my library didn't have it, so I had to settle for this one. The principles are good, but it is a bit outdated.

10) Homeschooler’s Success Stories
by Linda Dobson - This is a book full of stories of homeschoolers who have gone on to be successful in all areas of life.

11) The Old Man and the Sea
by Ernest Hemingway - I read this for my high school English class.

Can you tell by the books I read that I am getting geared up to start homeschooling Caleb for kindergarten in the fall?

No comments: