_

_

Monday, May 31, 2010

May 2010 Books Read

I didn't read as much in May as I did in April. With both of us being teachers, May is crazy with all the end of the school year tasks and events. In fact, I still need to finish up grades and send report cards this week. Here's what I read this month.

The Hiding Place
by Corrie ten Boom - I read this with my middle school class this month. It's a great book.
House Rules by Jodi Picoult - I have a love/hate relationship with Jodi Picoult's books. She is a good writer, but often likes to include crazy plot twists right at the end, which I don't like. Yet I picked up this book anyway, and it was pretty good.
What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. - As a classical educator, I do agree that there is a certain body of knowledge that a well-educated person in a certain culture needs to know. However, I hadn't even heard some of the stories and poems in here, so I will probably not follow this book.
Eat Well for $50 a Week by Rhonda Barfield - I read her book about eating healthy for $50 a week last month. This one about eating well was written first. I see why she needed to write another book because there are a lot of unhealthy recipes and ideas in here.
Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn - This was a great book. It had some great principles and yummy recipes. In my kitchen post on Friday, I'll post one recipe that I already tried out.

No comments: