_

_

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Teaching Time

Well, summer is coming to an end. Dave has pre-planning next week and goes back to school the next. I start one week after him (ha,ha). I'm planning to start kindergarten with Caleb on Monday so that we can get 2 full weeks in before I have to go back to work. For anyone who is interested (all 2 of you, maybe), here's the (semi)final list of what we are doing in school this year.

For both kids -
Preschool Plus - I am using the literature portion of this for both kids. It includes books to read each week all based around a character trait and has comprehension questions for each book. We start off with books like Madeline, Dr. Seuss, Frog and Toad, and Beatrix Potter and by the end of the year work our way up to Charlotte's Web, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and The House at Pooh Corner.
Christian Appendix for Preschool Plus
- This add on will be the basis for our Bible curriculum. It includes Bible stories, devotionals, and a memory verse for the character trait each week. We will also be memorizing the Apostle's Creed, continuing the Catechism for Young Children, and learning various hymns.
Handwriting Without Tears - Alexa will be doing the Pre-K book (which is recommended for 4 year olds, but I know she will want to do whatever Caleb is doing), and Caleb will be doing the K book.
Bubbles, Rainbows, and Worms - I plan to do 1 or science experiments out of this book each week.

For Alexa -
Preschool Plus - I will be using the rest of the Preschool Plus book (minus the literature) for Alexa. It covers numbers, letters, colors, shapes, basic math concepts, science, art, music, etc. I like that it is laid out by week with ideas for each day, so I don't have to do much planning for her. We will surely not do everything that is included, but I think it will be a good resource.

For Caleb -
Math U See Primer and Alpha - We did not get as far as I thought we would this summer in math (because I didn't expect to go to the beach twice or for Dave to be home for 4 weeks), but Caleb is already half way through the kindergarten math book. So, he will finish it around Christmas and then start the first grade book.
Phonics Pathways - This is his Phonics textbook.
Adventures in Phonics - This is his Phonics workbook.
Bob books and Kindergarten Phonics Readers - These are some beginning readers that I got him.

No comments: