_

_

Friday, January 2, 2015

Trim Healthy Mama


Before I tell you about Trim Healthy Mama, rewind to summer 2013 when I was rather frustrated that I hadn't lost the weight I had gained from pregnancy with Sierra (who was 1.5 at the time, but remember that she was quite possibly the grumpiest baby ever).  I joined the gym and worked out regularly and lost exactly 0 pounds.  Or maybe 1.  When school started back, I canceled my gym membership because life was just too busy to have time for it.  And it wasn't really working anyway.

Fast forward to March 2014. I had actually gained several pounds since the previous summer.  In fact, I weighed what I weighed at 40 weeks pregnant with Caleb.  I had heard about Trim Healthy Mama, and in desperation one day, I bought the e-book so that I could read it immediately.  In fact, I read it while drinking a large Coke from Chickfila.  The last one I would drink for about 8 weeks.  It's a 600 page book, but I read fast, and I finished it in a matter of days.  The book really resonated with me, probably because it is written by two busy, homeschooling moms.  They clearly explain how a mom's dietary needs are different from her children's and how to make meals for the whole family (rather than two separate meals) that will meet everyone's needs.  I went to the grocery store the night I first got the book and bought a few ingredients, and I jumped in with both feet, not really sure it would work, but really hoping it would.  I lost 7 pounds the first week, which was just the encouragement that I needed to keep going.  And, I felt better than I had in a long time.  I continued to plug along, thrilled that I was losing weight, while eating 5-6 times a day.  And I could still have bacon, chocolate, and alcohol.  This was an eating plan (not just a diet) that was sustainable for the long term.

Fast forward to today.  I have lost about 40 pounds since March, going from a size Large and 12/14 to a size Medium and 6/8 (BTW, Dave has also lost about 20 pounds by making several small changes in his diet even though he does not follow the plan exactly).  I have way more energy and am less tired.  My knees don't creak when I walk up stairs. My headaches have lessened.  And like I said before, I just feel better, healthier, and more energetic.  I'm not exactly at my goal weight, but I never expected to wear a size 6 again in my life, so even if I don't lose any more weight, I'm content with where I am.  I still eat on plan the vast majority of the time and I plan to indefinitely.  I know exactly what I need to do to maintain my weight loss, and I also appreciate all the other health benefits from eating on plan.  I've also introduced this plan to four friends who are also following it with me.  We are able to share recipes and encourage one another along the way.

It would be easy to look at the things, I can't (or don't) eat or the things I have given up: white flour, white rice, regular pasta, sugar, Coke, Chickfila sandwiches, fries, regular bread, typical snacky food (chips, pretzels, crackers, etc.).  But I prefer to look at the things I can eat: bacon and eggs, oatmeal, muffins, chocolate, burgers (bunless), a glass of wine, chicken fingers (breaded in almond flour), broccoli cheese soup, pizza (coconut flour crust), sandwiches, salads, fruits, vegetables, sprouted bread, and more.  There is an on plan alternative for almost everything.  And I prefer to look at what I have gained: a trim figure and health and strength with which to serve the Lord as I serve my family and my church and my students.

Before - November 2012

After - November 2014
One Trim Healthy Dinner - Homemade broccoli cheese soup with homemade bread topped with aged gouda (in the interest of full disclosure this is called a crossover and is better eaten when at goal weight not when still trying to lose weight)

No comments: