_

_

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Partying on a Budget


My friend, The Deal Lady, suggested the topic of today's post, partying on a budget. Dave finished his Masters degree in Education last month, and tonight I am throwing a party for him. However, I wanted to do that without breaking the budget. So here's what I came up with.

Invitations-
I sent invitations from evite.com to save on postage. It's a great site because people can RSVP right on the invitation.

Paper products -
Chinet beverage napkins - $.19 a few weeks ago at Publix
Chinet crystal tumblers - $.25 at Publix
Paper plates - $.50 for the whole package at Publix, will probably only use 2/3 of a package

Drinks -
2 2L of A&W Root beer - free at Kroger
1 2L of Coke - free at CVS
2 1/2 gallons Turkey Hill Iced Tea - free at Kroger
12 pack beer - Dave got some of his friends to bring some beer. I also picked some up at Publix yeterday using the Walgreens $5/$20 coupon as well as some overage from other groceries. Final cost was $6.28.
4 pack wine cookers - I got these at Aldi for $3.69.

Food -
Chips and salsa - Chips were $1.00. The Deal Lady is bringing salsa, which she got very cheap at Publix a few weeks ago.
Chips and dip - Dip was $1.00. Molly is bringing chips that she got on sale BOGO.
Crackers and cheese - Free. I have Kashi and Wheat Thins hanging around that I got for free recently. The cheese was leftover from a church function.
Pumpernickel bread and salmon spread - All the ingredients for this were scraped up from around the house, so no cost right now.
Brownies - Mix was $.20. I topped it with a few crushed Butterfingers. The whole bag of candy bars cost cost $.50, and I probably used 1/4 of the bag or $.13 worth.
Cheesecake bites - $.99 a container. I'm guessing we will use 3 containers.
Chex Mix - The Deal Lady is bringing this. She got overage on it last week at Publix.
Almonds - Free. I think I actually got overage on these, but I bought them a couple of months ago and can't remember.
Dove and Hershey's Bliss chocolates - Free at CVS and Walgreens

Estimated Cost for Party for approximately 20 people - $16.14. Without alcohol, my total would have been $6.17. How's that for partying on a budget?

No comments: