_

_

Friday, September 26, 2008

Cost of Dinner

Publix is advertising this week a meal you can purchase at their store that will feed a family of four for $19.66. They compare this to the over $40 a family of four would spend to go out to eat.

Well, I'm going to compare it to a dinner I made at home with mostly items purchased at Publix.

Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni: -$.20 (Yes, that is a negative sign. Publix paid me to take this home a few weeks ago.)
3/4 lb ground beef: ~$1.50
Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers sweet peas: -$.10 (They paid me to take these home as well.)
Bartlett Pear: ~$.44 (The kids and I shared one large pear that I bought on sale; Dave is out of town and doesn't eat pears anyway. To be completely fair, you would need more than one pear to serve 4).

Total cost for dinner for 3 (plus enough leftovers for 1-2 more servings): $1.64 :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

What is your weekly budget? I'm determined to get ours down to $50 but I can't seem to budge it past $75 on a good week. Maybe that's because I only make one grocery run a week (the shared car thing), never eat out, and we like to entertain but I suspect the real reason is that I need more practice and organization ... :)

EmilyV said...

I average about $70 a week, but we also have food coming out of our ears. I can do $50 some weeks but not every week.