_

_

Friday, July 25, 2008

I saved $210.83 at Kroger today!

As I was checking out at Kroger this afternoon, the lady next to me was walking out of the store and turned to tell her husband that her receipt said she saved $12.50. Don't worry, I didn't stop her to tell her that I saved almost $200 more than her.

First, before I get to the details, a little note about how I grocery shop and menu plan. If you look at what I bought today, you would think that we will be eating either pork tenderloin or ground beef or perhaps Advil for dinner every night this week. It would seem like we will not be eating any side dishes, like pasta, rice, or veggies. And you also might wonder if we eat fruit. Yes, of course we eat a reasonably well-rounded diet.

When I make a menu plan for the week, I look at what is in my refrigerator, freezer and pantry, and go from there. While I might need to buy a few odds and ends to round out the menu, like the shredded mozzarella that I purchased today to make homemade pizza tonight, I try to mostly plan meals from what we already have. Right now in my house, I have tons of chicken, steaks, pork chops, salad fixings, frozen and canned veggies, frozen, canned and fresh fruit, pasta, and rice, so I didn't need to buy those this week even though they are on the menu plan for the week.

When I make a grocery list for the week, I look at what is on sale and what I have coupons for. Then I purchase several of those things to stock up, as well as the odds and ends needed for my menu and any staples like bread and milk. For instance, this week Hormel pork tenderloins were marked down to $2.99 from $8.99. I also had a coupon for $1.25. So I bought eight of them. I also "bought" 12 bottles of Advil, since they were free after coupons and sales.

Anyway, here's the details for today. I did 2 transactions. I spent $84.85 and saved $210.83, for a savings of 71%. Here's what I got.

8 Hormel pork tenderloins - $1.75 each
12 24 ct. bottles of Advil - free
2 boxes Kroger brand crackers
1 dozen eggs - on sale for $1.48
3 loaves wheat bread - marked down to $.69
4 12 packs Coke products - $2 each
4 bottles Kroger apple juice - $1 each
2 Betty Crocker cookie mixes - $.50 each
2 packs Kraft American cheese - on sale for $2.49
1 bottle Franks hot sauce - free
2 boxes Edwards pie singles - $1 each
6 Lean Cuisine meals - $1 each
2 packages sponge head refills - marked down to $1.79
2 packs Yoplait kid yogurts - $1.50 each
1 pack Stoneyfield farm Yo baby yogurt
2 gallons milk
2 packs Tyson bacon - $2 each
1 Betty Crocker Warm Delight molten chocolate cake - free
2 boxes Eggo Nutrigrain blueberry waffles - $1.50
5 lbs ground beef - $5.99
i jar minced garlic
2 packs Kroger tortillas
4 bags shredded cheese - 2 @ $1.50 and 2 @ 1.67
2 cans skintimate shaving cream - $.50 each
3 sticks Lady Speed Stick deodorant - $.25 each
1 jar Kroger applesauce
1 lemon
3 pack Cottonelle toilet paper - $.49 each
1 box lemon jello
4 Pure proten bars - $.25 each
1 tub Athenos hummus - $1.99
1 package Kroger brown lunch bags
1 can Pillsbury cinnamon rolls

4 comments:

Jon and Melissa said...

so was this w/ or w/o coupons. where do i get the coups? I only have the coups from the newspaper.

EmilyV said...

This was with coupons. I buy 3 copies of the Sunday paper each week, and I also printed some online.

Kara S. said...

Great job! =) I love shopping at Kroger especially when I find the extra sales in the store like bread marked down for less than a dollar. My husband didn't go with me grocery shopping this week, so when I got home I started to tell him how much I spent/saved. He said he didn't want to know (probably because he just hauled the pile into the house and thought it cost a lot more than it did). I told him anyway and his face lit up when I said I saved $75+ dollars. =) Gotta love the mega event sales! =)

Martha said...

Wow! You did great!