_

_

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Cost of Homemade Meals

I was reading Good Housekeeping magazine this afternoon while the kids played outside. The September article focused on money saving ideas. There was one quote that intrigued me. "A home-cooked supper costs the typical American family of four about $5 per person. That's $20 every night, $140 every week - and those figures are on the rise." Well, since I don't even spend $140 a week at the grocery store, and that's for everything, all 3 meals, snacks, health and beauty, household supplies, and chocolate, of course, I knew this amount was high.

But, it did make me wonder how much I do spend on a home-cooked dinner. I am feeding 5 people, but we'll combine the kids since they don't eat a whole serving, and say that I am making 4 servings. For my calculations, I am not going to include things like spices, oil, and butter just to make it a bit easier. So, here are 3 meals from this week.

Wednesday and Thursday night -
I made Stromboli and salad on Wednesday (not on my original menu plan, but I had to make something different since my parents came over), and we ate leftovers on Thursday night. On Wednesday, I served corn, and on Thursday, I served grapes. I served 5 servings on Wednesday night (because of my parents) and 3 on Thursday (Dave was gone both nights). There are still leftovers of the Stromboli, which I will eat for lunch this weekend.

Stromboli - made 10 servings
3/4 lb ground beef - $1 (bought in 5lb package on Manager's special)
1 jar tomato sauce - $.50 (on sale with coupon)
1 c cottage cheese - $.90
1 c mozzarella - $.84 (on sale)
1/c mayo - $.40 (on sale with coupon)
4 c bread flour - $.64
2 tsp yeast - $.10 (bought at BJ's in a 2 pack)

Total - $4.38
Total per serving - $.44

Salad - made 8 servings
1/2 head red leaf lettuce - $.90
a few carrots - $.15 (on sale)
dressing - $.35 (on sale with coupon)
croutons - $.28 (on sale with coupon)

Total - $1.68
Total per serving - $.21

Corn
1/2 bag frozen - $.27 (on sale with coupon)

Total per serving - $.05

Grapes - $.25 (on sale for $.99/lb)

Total per serving - $.09

Wednesday night cost per person - $.70
Thursday night cost per person - $.90


Tonight -
We are having pork tenderloin, rice pilaf, breadsticks, and green beans.

Pork tenderloin

Total - $1.75 (on sale with coupon)
Total per serving - $.44

Rice pilaf

Total - $.40 (on sale with coupon)
Total per serving - $.10

Breadsticks -
Leftovers from another night. The package cost $.30 on sale with coupon, and we had half leftover.

Total - $.15
Total per serving - $.04

Green beans

Total - $.90
Total per serving - $.23

Friday total cost per person - $.81

If my calculations are correct, it is possible to feed your family a home-cooked meal that is yummy and reasonably healthy for WAY less than $5 per serving. Granted, we do occasionally splurge on steak or ribs, but even then I purchase them on sale. Maybe I need to write Good Housekeeping's next article on saving on grocery bills. Oh and while I'm at it, I plan to write one for them on saving money on clothing for the family, too. Don't even get me started on that article.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I never pay attention to those studies!! We are feeding 7 and only spend maybe $130 a week and that's including snacks and household stuff.