_

_

Saturday, August 9, 2008

So Here's So Ha

I headed to the airport this morning to pick up our new foreign exchange student, So Ha, who is from South Korea. I realized when I got there that I didn't know what she looked like, and I had forgotten to bring any paper to write her name on a sign. So I ran into the restroom and got a paper towel to use, instead. While waiting, I chatted with a young Korean girl, since I was pretty sure she was waiting for the same flight as I was, the only Korean Air flight arriving today. Sure enough, she was waiting for her boyfriend who was visiting family in Korea. He finally made it up the escalators, and they left. Then I talked to another family waiting for their Korean student, who will be attending another school in the area. She arrived, and they headed off as well. And still I waited with my paper towel sign.

A few minutes later, I heard someone say my name and turned to see the coordinator for the Korean agency. The first student we hosted was through the same agency, so I have met her before. It turns out, she was picking up a few students on the same flight whose host parents could not make it to the airport. In fact, I was the only host parent at the airport. Anyway a few minutes later, a group of 3 young girls FINALLY came up the escalator, including So Ha. We all headed to pick up their luggage while they babbled away in Korean all the while. I felt like the foreigner. We gathered up So Ha's luggage, said good bye to everyone else, and started for home.

So Ha will be a 10th grader at Dave's school this year. She seems very nice, and has a delightful British accent from studying in England prior to this. Caleb is so excited to have a student again and kept saying, "Where So Ha go? and So Ha in room?" I even got to talk to her father on the phone tonight, and he expressed his gratitude for taking good care of his daughter. Now begins the flurry of getting books and school supplies and uniforms squared a way before school starts on Tuesday. And I get the joy of shuttling her to and from school on Wednesday and Thursday while Dave is out of town.

So, Welcome, So Ha! We hope you enjoy your time spend with our family.

3 comments:

Dave said...

You forgot to mention that Alexa showed her excitement by growling at So Ha.

Joan said...

So does she want to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving?

Liz said...

What agency do y'all use for placement and such? Joe and I are talking about the opportunity and possibility........I did a google but it's hard to know where and what is a good match.