_

_

Friday, December 12, 2008

Baking Again

Our church's annual Christmas party is tomorrow night, so while the kids were this afternoon, I baked a cake to take. I normally prefer other desserts such as pies and cookies over cakes, mostly because I don't like icing, but I LOVE this cake. The recipe came from a church cookbook and is entitled "Beautiful Birthday Cake." I find this quite funny because it rarely if ever turns out beautiful when I make it. Yummy, yes. Beautiful, no. Anyway, here's a picture and the recipe for anyone who wants it.

1 box Devil's Food cake mix (I got this for $.05 at Publix a few weeks ago.)
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
2/3 c packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
2 c heavy whipping cream, whipped
2 TB grated semisweet chocolate (I normally use baking chocolate, but this time I used a Hershey's Special Dark bar that I got for free at CVS recently.)

Bake cake according to box directions in 2 9 inch round pans. Cool completely. Split each cake in half horizontally (I use dental floss).

In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream. Place one layer of cake on serving plate. Spread with 1/4 of cream mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 of chocolate. Repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight (this is why I made it today for the party tomorrow).

No comments: