_

_

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Our First Visit to a Doc in a Box

We made our first visit to an Urgent Care doctor with Caleb today. He's almost 3.5, so I guess we're doing pretty well if this is our first time. Anyway, I went to get him up from his nap today, and he told me his nose hurt. When I inspected, I found something stuck up on of his nostrils. We tried to get him to blow it out, and we tried to get it out with the booger sucker otherwise known as a nasal aspirator. It soon became apparent that it wasn't coming out on its own. I did some more investigation on and around the bed he was napping on and decided that it was probably a wadded up string from the blanket on the bed. I put in a call to our pediatrician (as well as to Dr. Mom/Grammy), and he said we need to go to Urgent Care to get it out. I knew there was a Children's Healthcare facility about 10 minutes from our house, but when I called, it had been permanently closed. So instead we drove to one about 30 minutes from our house. When we arrived, there was a sign that said the estimated wait time was 2 hours. Fortunately, though, things moved much faster than that, and we were in and out in about an hour. When we got in to see the doctor, he strapped Caleb down in a papoose board and used long handled tweezers to pull out the offending object, a rather large wad of blanket string. Caleb was very good and only fussed right when the doctor put the tweezers in. Afterwards, he got a popsicle and coloring book and markers, which were wrapped in Christmas paper. I hope he didn't have such a good time at the doctor's that he wants to go back again soon! When we got home, Caleb walked in to where Dave was and told him, "I go to doctor to fix my nose." I'll spare you the details, but later on in the evening, Dave discovered that Caleb has also apparently been eating blanket strings during nap time. Caleb is on the verge of dropping his naps, but he still has quiet time every day. He has books and puzzles on his bed to play with during naptime, and yet he either spends his time stripping (we often find him half dressed or even naked after naptime) and playing with strings off the blanket. Oh to understand the mind of a three year old boy!

1 comment:

DreArt said...

oh dear.... he'll never live that one down....