_

_

Friday, December 12, 2008

Frugal Friday: Buying Things You Don't Need

On my grocery shopping trip this morning, the first thing I did was walk into Kroger and purchase 7 packages (3 +1 bonus in each package) of Rapid Rise yeast. Obviously, I am not going to use 28 envelopes of yeast this week, this month, or perhaps even this year. They don't expire until 2010, though, and I will probably use them all (or donate them otherwise) before then.

Here's why I bought them. Yeast was on sale this week for $1. Each package produced a $.50 Catalina coupon to use on my next order (which are actually worth $1.00 to me because my store doubles them). I had 7 coupons for the yeast, some for $.40 and some for $.45 (which also double to $.80 or $.90). Are you getting the picture yet? After tax, I paid $1.38 for the yeast and got back 7 $.50 Catalinas, which translates to $7 to spend on my next order. I made $5.62!

Then, I tied up my bag of yeast with the receipt and went to do the rest of my shopping, which I paid for in part with the Catalinas I had just earned. So today at least, buying something I didn't need was the frugal thing to do.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

good job! i love it when things work out like that. and that was good thinking using them right away instead of saving them for next time, running the risk of losing them or letting them expire.

Julie said...

Oh good! I'm going tonight and I thought the catalina would only be good on buying more yeast. I couldn't figure out how to make that work without doing several transactions. I don't need all that yeast either but I can certainly use the overage!