_

_

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sleep Success

With both children, we have tried to teach them to go to sleep alone in their own beds, but we have chosen to do this without leaving them to cry. With Caleb, it did not take very long (3 months maybe, I can't remember) before we could give him his paci, turn on his mobile, leave, and he'd go to sleep. Occasionally, he'd require a visit from us to turn his mobile back on, but not too often. So, we tried the same thing with Alexa. And it worked for a bit until she learned to crawl, sit up, stand up, etc. Now, when I put her in her crib, she she sits up, crawls to the side, stands up, and screams like her heart is breaking. I have continued in my attempts to get her to put herself to sleep by using the mobile, music, white noise, patting her until she was drowsy and then leaving, but to no avail. I have had to stay in the room until she was completely asleep because as soon as she heard the squeaking floorboards as I walked out of the room, she jumped to her feet and began to scream again. But, today, she finally went to sleep without me!!!!!!!!!!! I put her to bed, turned on her mobile and left. About 5 minutes later she began screaming, so I went in, patted her for a bit, and left. She screamed for like 5 seconds when I left, and I haven't heard from her since. I peeked in, and she is sleeping with her feet where her head should go and no blanket on. But at least she is asleep! Now if only she would start sleeping through the night, but that is a post for another day.

1 comment:

Annette Feschbaum said...

Whoo-hoo!!! Success! :-D That is great. I hope you got to do something worthwhile with your extra time!